Sunday 17 May 2009

Disconnected

The thing I find most frustrating about disconnected is not being able to access the Internet.

When Richard and I met I only used the Internet for study and then very rarely. I had never seen a chat room, I did not have an e-mail account and Facebook did not exist. As the Internet revolution took off I vowed that it would not rule my life, that I would not fall into the trap of being at is beck and call, how untrue that all seems now. Without the Internet, I can no longer seem to function in my daily life, it rules everything that I do. If I am to work from home, I need it to access files and my e-mail account, if I want to talk to friends I need it to Skype or type, most of my computer games seem to require some form of Internet connectivity.

Use of the Internet now seems to have become as much a part of my daily life as brushing my teeth or eating some food. I want to know what happened to that girl who was not driven by the need to sit enslaved to a machine and type, I'm sure she's around here somewhere. I feel that we through the use of the internet have now become more and more devoid from human contact, yes we have endless possibilities and more scope than ever before, but what of our need for affection, compassion and love? Is all we now have perpetuated through the machine?

My poem reflects my thoughts what do you think?

Disconnected

Desiring more than is healthy
Invisible people on your screen
Sensing you are remote
Studiously composing your next response
Cut off from reality
Out of touch with humanity
Needlessly searching for company
Ever present adoration
Cybernetically communicating
Taken and shut off
Enslaved by the machine
Dying to get yet another fix.

4 comments:

  1. wonderful prompt done!

    http://whenhekissesher.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/disconnected/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true - the more we have, the more we want. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these internet 'connections' are just simulated. as long as you're aware of that when you do it, i don't see too much of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with most of this but I have family and friends scattered over the country. The internet helps us keep in contact on a more frequent basis than we used to have with just the telephone,

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails